Tasting Notes: Delicious New Wines from Arancio

FeudoA horeca dalila
 

… Grillo is a white grape from Sicily that red wine drinkers would love! Something about this strong-willed grape that pairs well with firm, white fleshed fish such as swordfish or chicken with exotic spices. Grilled fish (and chicken) is also difficult to pair with most delicate fish, so Grillo is a winner.

Recently I tried two wines from Feudo Arancio, a white and a red, and have very good tasting notes.

Let’s take the white first. It is called Dalia and it is a 2008 blend from Feudo Arancio of 80% Grillo and 20% Viognier from Sicily. The wine is aromatic with tropical notes of mango along with the white flowers of viognier, with a welcome bitter finish … something like the nib of an apricot seed.

The red is Nero d’Avola, an indigenous Sicilian variety first cultivated only in the area of Siracusa, but has since spread all over Sicily. It is soft and fruity with hints of  red berries and cranberry. With its soft and delicate structure you can pair it with foods as you would a Loire Gamay.

I liked these two wines a lot — both show a great deal of quality with great balance and rich fruit, and are also quite affordable in a very competitive world. Both are delicious, yet since I am not a white wine person by inclination, I have to admit I became very excited about the Dalila Grillo-Viognier blend. It was just so exotic and delicious, and something that will really excite friends (especially if they are wine snobs) when you bring this to a get-together or dinner.

The Grillo grapes were harvested in mid-September, destemmed, with 70% of the grapes soft pressed while the remaining 30% underwent masceration on the skins for 12 hours at 10C. Fermentation with the addition of selected yeast at 16C for ten days.

The Viognier was harvested the first week of September, destemmed and soft pressed then fermented with selected yeast in 3 year old barriques with light toasting and matured in oak for 8 months with periodic batonnage.

After maturation, the wines were blended then aged in stainless steel for an additional four months.

A really delicious wine that you can find via Wine-Searcher right now!

 


Learn Wine Fast!

The Essential Guide to Tasting, Talking, & Choosing Wine Like an Expert

Be the first to know when Marisa's new book is released:

Privacy